How to choose a muffler by car brand
You can find "native" spare parts in the catalog for selecting mufflers for cars on the website of Atiho, a Russian-Italian company that produces exhaust systems and provides online services for selecting structural components. There are also separate catalogs on the websites of Fiat Albea, Opel, Daewoo Nexia, where you can choose and order exhausts for replacing, repairing or tuning a car.
The exhaust system, implemented as a chain collector - catalyst - resonator - muffler, passes under the bottom of the car. The node experiences temperature loads from the inside, and stones from the road fly into it from the outside, it “collects” curbs and pits. Buying a part at an auto parts store is easy. However, not every driver will say with certainty how to choose the right muffler for the brand of car, whether it is necessary to look for only the factory model.
How to choose a muffler by car brand
A burnt muffler (exhaust) is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately. A gap in the body of the part disrupts the removal of exhaust gases from the cylinders and the supply of a fresh charge of the air-fuel mixture to the engine combustion chambers. A deformed acoustic filter will roar the area with a roar that is unbearable both for those around you and those in the vehicle. A leaky element will emit an exorbitant amount of pollutants into the atmosphere: nitrogen oxides, benzapyrene, aldehydes.
Every driver faces this problem. If you are a supporter of original parts, select a muffler by car make in two ways:
- VIN code. A simple way, but it may not work for old models VAZ-2106, 2107, 2110 - there is no such information on a number of resources.
- According to the technical parameters of the machine. By specifying the model (for example, VAZ-4216, 21099), you can choose a muffler by car brand. This is all the more simple for modern domestic "Lada Kalina", "Sable", "Chevrolet Niva".
But you can go the other way - buy universal mufflers for cars or use a suitable part (new or from disassembly) from another car.
You can find "native" spare parts in the catalog for selecting mufflers for cars on the website of Atiho, a Russian-Italian company that produces exhaust systems and provides online services for selecting structural components.
Is it possible to put a muffler from another car
In a harmonious design of the car, all nodes are mutually tuned to each other. The exhaust system is connected to the intake and exhaust valves of the engine head, phasing, ignition and power.
A muffler from another car will cause an imbalance in the tuning of the car's components, resulting in a loss of power of the power plant and an increase in fuel consumption. But no one will forbid you to put a silencer from a foreign car on the VAZ-2107.
Automakers made sure that the owners made the selection of the muffler according to the brand of the car, did not install non-standard parts. But Russian craftsmen can mount a silencer on a Gazelle from a foreign car, guided only by the length of the exhaust.
It’s risky, because even in the same type of bodies, acoustic filters come in different parameters. The exhaust system has a maximum length designed for a specific engine.
However, domestic black steel products are thin, quickly rust and burn through. There were successful experiences when the owners, for example, had to install a silencer on the UAZ "Patriot" from a foreign car with minor modifications.
Size is not the only parameter when choosing a car part. Consider the volume of the engine and the exhaust itself, the speed of rotation of the crankshaft. If everything matches (it’s better to ask the experts), you can put a silencer on the Gazelle from a foreign car.
Are there universal mufflers?
The answer is positive. You will find such modules in a large assortment in online stores and in the auto parts market. The versatility of the models lies in the changeable parameters. At the same time, you can select the material (more often - stainless steel or aluminized steel), the internal structure, the shape of the case.
Rating of the best universal mufflers
The variety of products can be confusing. Based on customer reviews, a list of trusted manufacturers has been compiled:
- Atiho (Russia). Exhaust systems are made according to Italian technology. The assortment of the enterprise includes more than 100 items of device elements.
- Polmostrow (Poland). The company has been operating since 1975, products can be found on all continents. Spare parts are produced for 58 car brands.
- Bosal (Belgium). The oldest company with a hundred years of history and an impeccable reputation. The largest car factories in the world use Belgian parts as standard.
- Walker (Sweden). Exhaust system components are supplied to the conveyors of auto giants: BMW, Volkswagen, Nissan. In the line: resonators, flame arresters, particulate filters, catalysts.
- Asso (Italy). Italians work for the domestic market and for export. Prices are 15-75% lower than for analogues from other manufacturers.
Beware of fakes. Selection criteria: one-piece body, smooth seams, weight (the heavier, the better).